Despite being in the 21st century, and the advancements of the woman, gender role stereotypes are still extremely alive and present. As a mother of a young girl, and a teacher to many other little girls and young ladies, it’s important to me that our girls grow up aware of the many options that lie in front of them, and that they have the confidence to choose where their passions lie, even if it is off the expected path.
This month is all about awareness at COCO. Part of raising confident girls is helping them to be aware of our society and how they fit into it. Our girls need to be given the tools to believe in themselves, and their abilities. These tools need to be strong enough to help them push their way through gender, racial, and generational stereotypes they will likely face as they grow up. It’s essential that we put the time and care needed into raising confident girls…raising the younger generation of COCO girls so that they can continue to build the image of Caribbean women internationally.
Here are my top five tips for raising confident girls.
1. Exposure – Expose your girls to as much as you can.
2. Encourage Exploration - Encourage your girls to explore their interests.
3. Embrace Entirely – Embrace loving their entire mind and body.
4. Encourage Assertiveness – Teach your girls how to stand up for themselves and not be afraid to share their opinions.
5. Empower – Constantly strive to help your girls believe in themselves and what they can achieve.
Note: Finding a Mentor was initially published in October 2013 in the COCO Magazine.